We have a disturbing update on James Holmes, the 24-year old suspected of killing 12 people and injuring dozens more inside an Aurora, Colorado movie theater this morning.
- The shooting took place at approximately 12:38 a.m. local time.
- Holmes protected himself with a ballistic helmet, a vest, a throat protector, a gas mask and black tactical gloves
- Officials believe Holmes acted on his own: “We are not looking for any other suspects,” said Oates. “We are confident he acted alone.”
- Holmes possessed three weapons when he was arrested behind the theater: an AR-15 assault rifle, a Remington shotgun and a 40-caliber Glock handgun. All were purchased legally.
- Holmes’ hair was painted red and he told police, upon being apprehended, that he was “The Joker.”
At last count, 71 people were wounded in this gunman’s attack. President Obama addressed the nation earlier today, honoring the victims and asking America’s to treasure the fragility of life.
Mitt Romney, meanwhile, has also made a speech in which he offered his “deepest condolences” to those affected by the tragedy and added:
“I stand before you today not as a man running for office but as a father and grandfather, a husband, an American. This is a time for each of us to look into our hearts and remember how much we love one another and how much we love and how much we care for our great country. There’s so much love and goodness in the heart of America.”