The Divergent Series: Insurgent opened in first place at the North American box office this weekend with an estimated $54 million, which was just a bit behind the $54.6 million debut of its predecessor Divergent.
Internationally, Insurgent took in an additional $47 million for a worldwide total of $101 million. It should be noted that Insurgent cost more to produce than Divergent ($110 million to $90 million) and, unlike Divergent, was released in the higher-priced 3D format.
Still, Insurgent saw an uptick in overseas ticket sales over Divergent as Veronica Roth’s book series has increased in popularity abroad in the past year.
Meanwhile, The Gunman — Sean Penn’s stab at a Taken-style action flick — opened in fourth place with a wimpy $5 million. Faith-based film Do You Believe? debuted in sixth place with an estimated $4 million.
Here are the weekend estimates via Rentrak:
1. The Divergent Series: Insurgent $54 million
2. Cinderella $34.5 million
3. Run All Night $5.1 million
4. The Gunman $5 million
5. Kingsman: The Secret Service $4.6 million
6. Do You Believe? $4 million
7. The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel $3.5 million
8. Focus $3.3 million
9. Chappie $2.7 million
10. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water $2.4 million