Iron Man 3 Dominates Box Office Again!

Superhero film Iron Man 3 got off to a massive start this weekend with a box office haul of 175.3 million dollars and in the process had the second biggest film opening of all time in the US.

According to Disney, combined with international sales, the film brought its total earnings to 680.1million dollars, the New York Daily News reported.

The movie stars Robert Downey Jr. as the billionaire businessman Tony Stark, whose superhero alter-ego spars with an evil extremist.

Avengers holds the opening record with 207.4 million dollars over its first three days.

Previous two installments of Iron Man earned a total of 1.2 billion dollars across the world, the Box Office Mojo website reported.

Last week’s winner, dark action comedy Pain and Gain, dropped to second place with 7.6 million dollars whereas baseball drama 42 took number three place with 6.2 million dollars.

Rounding out the top five was Tom Cruise’s post-apocalyptic thriller Oblivion that has earned 5.79 million dollars, and the animated film The Croods grossed 4.2 million dollars.

Top ten movies this weekend

1. Iron Man 3: 175 million dollar

2. Pain and Gain: 7.6 million dollar

3. 42: 6.2 million dollar

4. Oblivion: 5.8 million dollar

5. The Croods: 4.2 million dollar

6. The Big Wedding: 3.9 million dollar

7. Mud: 2.2 million dollar

8. Oz the Great and Powerful: 1.8 million dollar

9. Scary Movie 5: 1.4 million dollar

10. The Place Beyond the Pines: 1.3 million dollars

Iron Man 3 rules World Box Office!

Iron Man 3 has blasted to the top of the worldwide box office on its debut weekend, overtaking Avengers Assemble.

The third installment of the Marvel superhero franchise, starring Robert Downey Jr and Gwyneth Paltrow, launched globally with a 195.3 million US dollars in 42 countries ahead of its American opening on May 3, said distributor Disney.

That has topped the 185.1 million US dollars start for Avengers Assemble, and broke a number of records overseas, scoring the biggest opening weekend ever in Asia Pacific and Latin America, and individual countries including the UK, Argentina, Hong Kong and Malaysia.

Dave Hollis, head of distribution for Disney, said: “You don’t know that you could ever repeat the kind of experience we had a year ago, and here the Marvel team brought together another incredible movie. We’ve had this as a pattern for Marvel films to kind of let momentum internationally help signal to the domestic audience that the film is coming, something big is coming.”

Michael Bay’s true-crime tale Pain And Gain muscled its way into first place in the US with a 20 million US dollar debut.

The Paramount release starring Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Anthony Mackie knocked off Tom Cruise’s sci-fi adventure Oblivion after a week in the number one spot.

Sports drama 42 with Harrison Ford took third spot, while The Big Wedding, which features a star-studded ensemble cast including Robert De Niro, Robin Williams and Susan Sarandon, was in fourth place, followed by The Croods in the fifth spot.

Disney’s ‘Oz the Great and the Power’ bewitches box office with $80M debut

”Oz the Great and the Power” clicked with moviegoers. Disney’s 3-D prequel to ”The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” earned $80.3 million and debuted at No. 1 at the weekend box office, according to studio estimates on Sunday.

”Oz” reportedly cost $200 million with another $100 million in estimated marketing costs.

The film stars James Franco as the wizard and Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams and Rachel Weisz as the three witches he encounters in the mystical realm of Oz.

The Warner Bros. 3-D action extravaganza ”Jack the Giant Slayer” stomped out second place with $10 million.

The Universal comedy ”Identity Thief” captured $6.3 million at No. 3.

The FilmDistrict revenge drama ”Dead Man Down” starring Colin Farrell and Noomi Rapace opened in the No. 4 position with $5.43 million.

Disney buys Lucasfilm, plans to release ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ in 2015

Star Wars fans, you might want to sit down for this one — The Walt Disney Company just announced its plans to purchase Lucasfilm Ltd from George Lucas, with plans to releaseStar Wars: Episode 7 sometime during 2015. While there aren’t any release dates yet for Episodes 8 and 9, those films will be coming as well — and the studio has even more beyond a new trilogy planned for the future. The deal is a stock and cash transaction, with Lucas receiving about half of the $4.05 billion value of the deal in cash plus some 40 million stock shares. “”It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers,” Lucas said in a statement. “I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime.”

DISNEY PLANS TO RELEASE A NEW STAR WARS FILM EVERY TWO TO THREE YEARS

The deal will see Disney take control of all of Lucafilm’s assets, including the “evergreen”Star Wars franchise, the Indiana Jones franchise, and operating businesses in “live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production.” Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will take over as President of the new Lucasfilm division and report to Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn. Lucas himself will stay on as creative consultant for the new Star Wars films, with Kennedy serving as executive producer. While it’s too soon to tell exactly what this will mean for the future of the Star Wars franchise (aside from more movies, at least), we’ll be on Disney’s conference call with investors at 4:30pm ET to see if we learn anything else.

Update: We’re listening in to Disney’s conference call right now, and Disney just confirmed that Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound are included in the transaction. It also confirmed a long-term plan of releasing a new feature Star Wars film every two to three years — beyond the planned Episodes 7, 8, and 9. Disney also confirmed some other plans for the franchise, including placement in its gaming and television business as well as its parks and resorts business. It sounds like we can look forward to more Star Tours, new Star Wars video games, and even more non-film tie-in products.

During the Q&A, Disney said that they were purchasing an “extensive and detailed” treatment for the next film trilogy, so Disney won’t be starting from scratch. It also said the movies were in the “early stage development” at the moment, and noted that it hopes to have Episodes 8 and 9 released “every other year” — so 2017 and 2019 are the current target dates.