The highly anticipated iOS 7 update for WhatsApp finally landed in the App Store this afternoon. The update brings the iOS client for the popular messaging service to version 2.11.5, and includes an all new design, new features and various improvements.
One of the big new features in 2.11.5 is called broadcasts lists, and it allows you to send messages to many people simultaneously. So say for instance you have a list of your classmates or work colleagues, you can message them all at once instead of individually…
Here are the release notes for version 2.11.5:
– new iOS 7 User Interface
– broadcast lists: communicate with your classmates, work colleagues or just friends by messaging many people at once.
– improved share location: 3D map view, hide places, search places
– large thumbs: see more
– new notification alerts and sounds: WhatsApp Settings > Notifications > New Message.
– application will now use your device text size as configured in iOS Settings > General > Text Size
– new improved User Interface for managing your blocked contacts: WhatsApp Settings > Chat Settings > Blocked
– crop image before sending
Reminder: you can backup your WhatsApp conversations into iCloud. Simply visit WhatsApp Settings > Chat Settings > Chat Backup and tap on “Back Up Now”
The apps new design follows the same template as just about every other app that has been updated to match iOS 7′s aesthetics. There’s enough white space, flat graphics and blue accents to make all of the folks that don’t like Apple’s new design direction cringe.
But I happen to like the new design, and I’m really digging the UX improvements. There’s the new broadcast lists feature we already mentioned above, as well larger thumbnails, improved location sharing and blocking contacts is now much easier than before.
If you’re already a WhatsApp user, I feel like grabbing this update is a no-brainer. Just make sure, as the release notes caution, that you backup your conversations to iCloud before doing so. When you’re ready, you can findthe new WhatsApp in the App Store for free.